The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, on February 28, 2014 arraigned the duo of Apiri Richard Tonye and Paul Charles before Justice Kate Abiri of the Bayelsa State High Court, Yenegoa, on a 4-count charge bordering on conspiracy and stealing.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested a legal practitioner, Barrister Ayodele Owoka, 47, over allegations of bribery. He was arrested on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at the Commission’s office in Ikoyi, Lagos as he attempted to bribe a team of operatives investigating a case of contract inflation, abuse of office, stealing, embezzlement and misappropriation of funds at the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, Ondo State.
Senator Victor Lar, Chairman Senate Committee on Drugs, Narcotics, Financial Crimes and Anti-Corruption has commended the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for the number of convictions it secured in 2013. He made the remark Thursday at the 2014 Budget defense of the EFCC. The Commission recorded a total of 117 convictions in 2013. An elated Lar said the record is significant in the face of the erroneous perception by some persons that the Commission was not doing much. “The 117 convictions is a very good record. We hope that the Commission will put in more efforts” he said.
- N3m Fraud: EFCC Arraigns Wonder Bank Operators
- Man Docked for $100,000 Oil Scam
- Recharge Card Scam: Fraudster Bags 35 Years Jail Term
- EFCC Arraigns Banker for N2.1m Fraud
- N5.2m Fraud: EFCC Arraigns Pastor Over Forex Deal
- How Police Officer Conspired with Vandals to Siphon Crude Oil – Witness
- N350m Fraud: Ex-Banker Arraigned for Negligence
- EFCC Arraigns Man for N6.9m Fraud
- Fraudster Bags Ten Years Jail Term for Defrauding Blind Teacher
- EFCC Arraigns Ex- Banker for N450m Fraud